Since being built in 1911, The Dockyard Club building has been a children’s school, a part of the Experimental Department of HM Signal School where Radio Direction Finding (later known by the American term ‘Radar’) was developed, then as the business premises of Mr John Flavell Coales CBE.
The idea for the creation of the Dockyard Central Sports Association started in mid-1947. The first meeting to decide the way ahead was in late 1947 and following the acquisition of the Onslow Road premises, the first full management committee meeting took place in late 1948.
Following on, the first full-time steward was appointed in January 1949; and the club subsequently became the Naval Base Establishment’ Central Sports Association.
In July 2015 it was formally renamed The Dockyard Club.